Friday, January 25, 2013

Widgets

Live Review - Muse at Staples Center 1/24/12


I have been a fan of Muse since their first album and it wasn't until I finally saw them at The Mayan in Downtown L.A. that I became addicted to seeing them live. This show felt like they were way too big for the intimate venue, I had never seen anything like that and my ears were shocked and elated

I've now have seen Muse approximately seven times live and their last tour for The Resistance blew my mind. They were finally at the level where they could play the Staples Center and they trumped it and made this massive venue seem small with their set-up that included three towers which they performed in the center of.

I must admit that I was not a big fan of their latest album and was not as excited to see them live this time around but I was curious because I knew they were going to bring it. So at the last minute, after finally getting over a cold, we got tickets and damn did they bring it!

Muse has taken arena rock to a new level with astounding visuals projected on suspended screens above the stage that lowered and raised positions. Throw in pyrotechnics, lasers and Muse's explosive sound and you have an experience like no other. Of course all of this helped me enjoy the newer songs more but I was very happy to hear some classic Muse anthems.  This time Muse fit the Staples Center just right not only with their sound but with their stage theatrics. My ears were grateful but my eyes were even more so.  

The only thing that distracted me from the show was the announcement of the Coachella lineup. It was announced during Muse's second song and I had to look at it but Muse demanded my attention and I succumbed.     

 


No comments:

Post a Comment